In 2019, we established the United in Design Scholarship to support the development of an architectural profession that is more reflective of our diverse society.
We are passionate about the ability of design to transform our built environment for a more equitable future and believe that, through the combined talents of many, we can create memorable places that bring people together. If you share our sense of mission and come from a diverse, minority, LGBTQIA+, or other under-represented background, please consider applying!
Scholarship winners have an opportunity for a paid summer internship at Union. As an intern you will be involved in daily project activity, construction tours, and in-office learning and community building. The centerpiece of the internship is a research project that pulls together thought-leadership and best-practices around a particular topic in Union’s work. Past internship publications have included Missing Middle on Cape Cod and Designing for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Congratulations to our previous scholarship winners:
- Grace Amoruso, Roger Williams University
- Evelyn Ehgotz, Rhode Island School of Design
- Mallika Kanodia, Rhode Island School of Design
- Mikaela Karlsson, KTH Royal Institute of Technology
The scholarship includes:
- $2,500 academic scholarship paid directly to your current academic institution
- Paid summer internship opportunity for 10-weeks in our Providence, Rhode Island office
- $2,500 housing assistance in Providence for the duration of the 10-week internship
- Mentor for the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) within the firm
- Underrepresented, minority, or LGBTQIA+ students
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate architecture, interior architecture, urban design or planning program
- Will begin final year of program in Fall 2023
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Online application
- Cover Letter. Please tell us your story and how this scholarship will help you.
- Portfolio showcasing five (5) academic or personal design projects
- Letter of recommendation from professor in current program of study
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, March 14 at 12:00 noon, ESTApply Now
If you have any questions about United in Design, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.